The News

When my mom, Nick and I lived on Washington Street in Santa Cruz we would often talk about politics and society in general at the dinner table. I don't remember the specific conversations but it often had to do with corporate greed or corrupt political systems. These weren't lectures or her telling us "how it was," but rather actually discussions. I remember voicing many opinions and her listening and furthering the discussion. I felt a certain amount of respect granted to me and enjoyed these conversations.

Over the years we certainly talked about many of the same issues. But "real" life also needed tending to and there were many periods of our lives where we didn't discuss such global issues. However, in the last few years we had been talking more on the subject of politics and society. Many of our phone conversation were to talk about what had just happened in our county and the World.

Now that those conversations have stopped but as the World continues to create more news I find myself in a strange place of not having that other person to reflect with. I miss those conversations and the fact that they took place over most of my life only makes me miss them more and, of course, miss her.

-Tim Thayer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Mercedes Miranda

Happy Birthday to Liz!